If you’ve been reading this blog or know me at all, then you know I’m a big fan of the Gottman Institute. They have a calendar of couples workshops coming up that are intended for all couples interested in investing in their relationship. This workshop, offered several times in 2008 and 2009, is facilitated by Drs. John and Julie Gottman.
2008 Workshop Dates
What You Will Learn at the Workshop
Drs. John and Julie Gottman have designed this workshop to teach you how to foster romance and harmony in your relationship. At this workshop you will learn:
*How to strengthen your friendship, the foundation of your relationship, by sharing a deeper understanding of each other’s worlds
*Ways to navigate conflict discussions with calm
*Skills to break through and resolve “gridlocked” conflict
*How to manage stressful conversations respectfullyRegistration
If you have questions or wish to register, please call Linda Wright in the Couples Department at (888) 523 – 9042 ext. 1 or visit www.gottman.com.
Research-Based Relationship Tips
1. Seek help early
2. Most couples wait six years – and live with unhappiness far too long – before seeking help with relationship problems.
3. Have high standards
4. The most successful couples are those who, even as newlyweds, address hurtful behavior from one another.
5. Take a break. If an argument gets too heated, take a 20 minute break and approach the topic again when you are both calm.
6. Soften your “start up”
7. Bring up problems gently, without blaming or criticizing your partner.
8. Do small things often. Small, considerate acts add up over time and can make a BIG difference, such as leaving your partner a love note or saying thank you.